Friday, May 05, 2006

Secret Pal 8

In my browsing meanderings I came across Secret Pal 8 which is a super cool knitting/crochet exchange sort of thing. Much as I compulsively check my e-mail, I love snail mail more--both sending and receiving--so I'm an excited participant. Many "shoulds" this morning. Should be dyeing, should be spinning, should be picking veggie matter out of dirty mohair, should post the 15 or so new glass needles to my webpage or maybe some of the yarn...haven't updated in a while. But that takes standing up and the Secret Pal questionaire is right here:

Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Like most yarns as long as they're soft, especially natural fibers. I'm not crazy about ladder yarns. The only fibers I don't like are itchy ones.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Picnic basket, various drawers around the house, my hair, glove compartment. I do have a needle case, I just never remember to use it.

3. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
Knitting since a wee lass, so pretty advanced.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
amazon

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
almond

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
yup, dark chocolate

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
umm. crafts include spinning, weaving, dyeing, lampworking, wood inlay, tatting, bobbin lace, photography, drawing/painting, woodturning, carving, bookmaking, sewing, soapmaking... I don't really crochet unless forced, maybe occasionally as part of a bigger project.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
jazz (not smooth), bluegrass, conscious hip hop, singer/songwriter folk rock, flamenco, salsa

9. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Love red. Also love cool colors. Not super fond of pink.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Two cats.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
scarves and hats

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
little tops, gloves, socks

13. What are you knitting right now?
armwarmers, many unmatching socks, sweater

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
yes

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
circular. but I make straight glass knitting needles, so I've been using those a lot.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
nope

17. How did you learn to knit?
from my grandmother who didn't speak english so I didn't learn very well. Then I learned from a book.

18. How old is your oldest UFO?
the big ugly--a sweater I started in college--is probably 8 years old or so. Here's the sleeve when I just started it:

Actually I think it's all knit up now but I haven't gotten around to attaching the sleeves to the body and finishing it up.

19. What is your favorite holiday?
hmmm

20. Is there anything that you collect?
yarn, fiber, looms

21. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

when I'm dying for a book, I generally find an excuse to get it for myself eventually...so the two high on my list are just too expensive right now...Unexpected Knitting by Debbie New and Principles of Knitting by June Hiatt. Can't really justify $40 or $300 for knitting books. Don't have any knitting magazine subscriptions, but I love looking at Interweave Knits (love all the Interweave magazines) and sometimes Vogue Knitting.

22. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
mmm

23. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
yes! Oh that's going to make me get up. I refuse. Size 7 1/2 womens. I'll measure later.

24. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
March 11th

No comments: