Monday, January 02, 2006

simple squash for the new year

Wonderful new year's day for me yesterday. Woke up and tried to fulfill one of my resolutions by going for a run. It turned into more of a walk than a run as my underused lungs couldn't keep up with my ambitions, but it's a start and I have the blisters today to prove it. (Might need new running shoes.) Highlights of the rest of the day including weaving off some cotton yardage for kitchen towels, more exercise dancing/bouncing in the living room with my roommate Lisa, making boba (tapioca pearl) tea, starting our kombucha culture, setting up the sourdough starter for another round of bread, scrubbing the stove, picking mushrooms from the lawn to see if they have a good dye (they don't) and finally, dinner of sweet wild black rice cooked with coconut flakes and this easy squash recipe:

Quarter or halve butternut or other squash, remove seeds, and bake face down at 350-400 in an inch of water until soft. When cool enough to handle, scoop out, and mash innards. Add sugar, cardamom and nutmeg to taste.

No comments: